I am a senior lead guide for Harris Mountains Heli-ski, NZ’s largest heli-skiing company and specialise in private heli-skiing charters. This is the ultimate in heli-skiing; a helicopter exclusively for your use, me as your guide and thousands of vertical feet of untracked snow in the Southern Alps to explore. The number of runs achieved is dependant on the number of skiers or snowboarders in the group, your ability level and the helicopter flying time used. It’s common for us to ski 15 – 20 runs a day.
I have two high quality packages available for heli-skiing in New Zealand. The five star Tin Tub Luxury Lodge or the four star Edgewater Hotel. I can also assist in rental quality holiday homes or tailor a package to suit your needs with daily massage and private chefs. You can stay for as long as you like, but I suggest a 7 night stay to optimize your chances of good weather and great skiing.
The daily heli-skiing costs are based only on what you use, and I can book lodging, transfers and the skiing.
(+) click on image to view larger image and start slideshow
- Day 1: Arrive at Queenstown airport, transfer to Wanaka (1hr), check in, hire skis if needed and relax or explore the boutique shops of Wanaka. Meet Mark and brief on the week’s weather forecast, current avalanche conditions and heli-ski plan
- Day 2: Helicopter arrives on lawn at 9am, safety briefing, lift off to the South Buchanans area for the day. Ski 8 800m runs, stop for a lunch, ski another 8 runs after lunch and return to Lodge about 4pm
- Day 3: Helicopter arrives at 8:30am, early due to incoming weather. Lift off immediately, ski in the North Harris Mountains. 12 runs before 1pm, then lunch back at the Lodge. Relax in afternoon as weather gets worse
- Day 4: Bad weather day. Relax with massage at the lodge then explore the shops and cafes in Wanaka. Rain eases so 9 holes of golf in afternoon.
- Day 5: Snow clearing in the mountains, lift off at noon, 18 runs and back at 5pm
- Day 6: Clear weather. Helicopter arrives at 9am, lift off to the Glaciers, ski 9 runs, stop for lunch, another 6 runs in the afternoon
- Day 7: Fixed wing flight to Mt Cook (1hr), meet another helicopter based there, ski 6 x 1000m vertical runs in the Ben Ohau Mountains, lunch on top, then another 7 runs in the afternoon on tired legs. Fly back to Wanaka, or stay at Mt Cook’s Hermitage Hotel
- Day 8: Transfer to airport to travel home
Three people is the premium. One helicopter. No limits! $9,395 including tax which includes 2 hours of helicopter flight time (enough for 15-20 runs as you only pay when the helicopter is in the air).
For 5 to 10 people it costs $10,995 including tax for 2 hours of helicopter flight time (usually enough for 8-10 runs).
PREMIUM ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS
Tin Tub Luxury Lodge
The Tin Tub Luxury Lodge sits high on a ridge overlooking Wanaka with breathtaking views over Lake Wanaka and the Mountains. The Lodge sleeps 4 persons in 2 rooms and 6 persons in 3 luxury villas. The Luxury villas offers unique spa baths, & private outdoor tubs. The prefect base for heli-skiing (or tramping, biking, fishing, walking and wine tasting).
The Lodge has an on-site tennis court, a swimming pool, sauna and gym together with mountain bikes for exploring the local area or a trip down to the lake. Sleep in the silence of the countryside and wake to a leisurely breakfast before setting out on another day of heli-skiing (the helicopter can pick you up from the lawn). Evening dining is also available on request.
The Tin Tub Lodge prices can be confirmed on application (depends on numbers and if lodge exclusivity is requested).
Private Rental House
4-5 Star comfort:
Stay in luxury in a home right on the lake front close to town. Various options for every budget and requirement. Price depends on which house you rent. I can help suggest good options for your budget.
Set right on the shores of Lake Wanaka is the Edgewater Hotel just minutes from the heart of Wanaka township. With lawns stretching right to the water’s edge of Lake Wanaka, Edgewater is a welcoming retreat.
Their suites feature a master bedroom with a separated living and dining area, along with laundry facilities, while the two bedroom apartments offers additional bedroom with en-suited bathroom. Edgewater Hotel also offers a comprehensive selection of onsite recreational facilities such as tennis courts, mountain bikes, spa and sauna. All accommodation rooms provide spectacular views of the surrounding lawns, gardens, Lake Wanaka and beyond, to the magnificent Southern Alps.
Hotel Studio rooms priced from $280 per night including tax.