Antarctica is seen by many as the ‘Last Frontier’ for skiing and snowboarding due to its remote location and difficulty of access. An expedition to the Antarctic is an exotic, life changing experience very few people have the opportunity to experience.
In October 2024 we are exploring the Antarctica Peninsula from the comfortable brand new Ocean Albatros with splendid cabins and excellent food. This is the most affordable way to explore and experience Antarctica for 2 weeks with a group of like minded skiers and snowboarders and there’s various options of cabin comfort available. Quickly cross the formidable Drake Passage and then spend several days exploring the amazing Peninsula’s snow covered slopes, wildlife and ambiance. Ponder the complexity of the fragile and dynamic ecosystem of the Antarctic Peninsula while enjoying daily ski tours, lectures and wildlife excursions. Actively explore this frontier’s skiing possibilities with your family or friends, ski, snowboard or just explore the wildlife.
Check out a short video Ice Axe Expeditions made (who I work with):
(+) click on image to view larger image and start slideshow
2024 PRICING DETAILS
Ocean Victory ship:
- French BalconyCabin: US$13,995 per guest, plus $2,200 Ski Tour Option
- Main Deck Balcony Cabin: US$14,995 per guest, plus $2,200 Ski Tour Option
- Balcony Stateroom Cabin: US$16,495 per guest (Photo below), plus $2,200 Ski Tour Option
- Balcony Suite: US$17,995 per guest, plus $2,200 Ski Tour Option
- Single Porthole Cabin (single person): US$19,995 per guest, plus $2,200 Ski Tour Option
- Junior Balcony Suite: US$20,995 per guest, plus $2,200 Ski Tour Option
- Premium Balcony Suite: US$21,995 per guest, plus $2,200 Ski Tour Option
- airfare not included, all pricing per person
- 50% deposit is required upon booking to reserve your place
- The final balance is payable 95 days prior to your departure
- You may place your deposit with Visa or MasterCard credit card
- Final Payment must be paid by Check, Wire, or Cash
- You can also mail a check with your trip application or submit a wire transfer to place your deposit
- Berths will be reserved on a first-come, first served basis depending on when we receive your completed Registration application and Terms and Conditions of Sale.
Day 0: Suggest arriving in Ushuaia, Argentina a few days early. Ski tour and skills training. Option for a 2 day pre-trip glacier training course! – $800 pp
Day 1: Orientation with ski guide or trekking guide. Local ski tour if possible. Overnight in Ushuaia.
Day 2: Board the Ocean Albatros and set sail down the Beagle Channel.
Day 3-4: Cross the Drake Passage. Sperm, fin, and humpback whales, along with skies of seabirds will accompany our journey.
Day 5: Ski, kayak and trekking objectives at Neko Harbour. Zodiac cruises, penguin rookeries.
Day 6: Ski, kayak and trekking objectives at Anvers and Wenke Islands. Port Lockroy scientific base and museum. Visit gentoo and adelie penguin habitat.
Day 7: Ronge/Island/Mt. Britannia. Visit penguin rookery at Georges Point. Ski, kayak and trekking options.
Day 8: Ski, kayak and trekking objectives in Paradise Bay. Zodiac excursions. Visit penguin rookery and Almirante Brown Station.
Day 9: Lemaire Channel/ Mt. Scott/ Mt. Demaria/Mt. Mill ski descents. Ski, kayak, and trekking options. Visit the Ukrainian Vernadsky scientific station. Killer whale and leopard seal sightings.
Day 10: Ski descents, kayaking, trekking and nature cruises of Charlotte Bay; begin journey north in the evening.
Day 11-12: Sail Drake Passage; pass the dramatic cliffs of Cape Horn.
Day 13: Disembark the Ocean Albatros in Ushuaia, Argentina.
*Flexibility is necessary for all Antarctic travel. This program is subject to change throughout the journey depending on ice, weather and local conditions.
ANTARCTIC PREP/GLACIER TRAVEL CLINIC:
Location: Martial Glacier, Ushuaia
Dates: October 15 and 16, 2023
Make the most of your Antarctic adventure by brushing up on backcountry basics and glacier travel in Ushuaia before you head out. This two-day class is taught by experienced Ice Axe Expedition guides and features conditions very similar to what we might find in Antarctica. The class size is limited to four skiers/riders per guide and takes place on the Martial Glacier, which is a short ten-minute taxi ride outside of downtown Ushuaia. The cost is $750 for two full days of guiding and instruction. Hotel accommodations are not included.
Itinerary for Antarctic Prep/Glacier Travel Clinic:
After meeting at the Hotel Albatros in the center of town, we will review gear and answer any questions about the day before loading skis and packs into an Ice Axe Expeditions truck and catching individual taxis up to the glacier. From here, we’ll attach skis onto packs and walk a short distance up to the snowline before transitioning into ski mode where we will cover beacons, avalanche awareness, efficient skinning, kick turns, heel lifters, ski crampons, transitions, gear organizing and glacier skiing strategies.
A similar format to day one, but with more technical information. Topics include roping up for glacier travel, using boot crampons and an ice axe, climbing steeper terrain on foot, short roping, lowering and rappelling and self-arrest. As time allows, we will also cover building anchors for crevasse rescue, how to set up a C drop loop, and how to rig a 3:1 pulley system for crevasse extraction.
Course participants should bring all of the equipment on the Ice Axe Expeditions gear list to each day of the clinic and be prepared for 5-7 hours of skiing. Unless participants arrive with a preformed group of four or more, they will be broken into groups depending on experience. No prior backcountry skiing experience is required for these clinics. The clinics will go until approximately 4:00pm and people can expect to be back in Ushuaia by 5:00pm.
WHAT IS INCLUDED
- 1 night pre-expedition shared hotel accommodation in Ushuaia, Argentina. This room includes a continental breakfast.
- Guides travel and wages.
- Includes backcountry skiing fee.
- Group dinner in Ushuaia.
- Group transfers from the hotel to the ship on embarkation and from the ship to the airport on disembarkation and all miscellaneous service taxes and port charges.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner on board the Ocean Victory.
- Shore landings and Zodiac excursions as permitted by weather and local conditions.
- Presentations by our Expedition Team and guest speakers.
- Photographic trip-log shared after the voyage.
- Comprehensive pre-departure information package
- Use of a pair of rubber expedition boots on loan for shore landings. These will be returned at the end of the voyage.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
- Airfares to or from your home city, whether on scheduled or charter flights
- Passport and visa expenses. Tourist entry fees may apply depending on your nationality
- Any government arrival and departure airport taxes
- Ski or trekking equipment
- Baggage, cancellation and travel insurance (emergency medical and evacuation insurance is mandatory. Ice Axe can help you to arrange this insurance if you need assistance)
- Excess baggage charges
- Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges onboard the ship or at the hotel
- Telecommunications charges or the customary gratuity at the end of the voyage for stewards, guides, and other service personnel
- Gratuity for guides and hospitality staff